Thursday, February 3, 2011

Mulch Mats and Hot Cats...

Before delving into the meat of this Razor post, a quick housekeeping item. Kelli Strowd, as it turns out, is not pregnant. I'm sorry for jumping the gun with the conception announcement last week. I'd assumed she got caught up in the National Championship moment and forgot she was married to Michael...
---

My 34th birthday is two weeks from yesterday (Feb. 16th). I considered posting an exhaustive review of my 33rd year, but figured that faithful Slicers would prefer going back through the archives and re-reading each and every Razor post. Good luck with that.

While preparing this post, it occured to me that when Jesus was 33 years old he save all of humanity from eternal damnation and during my 33rd year, I founded the Razor. Pretty cool.

Why so much focus on my birthday? That's what we in the blogging business refer to as a segue (pronounced segway), seemlessly transitioning into a topic of great importance.

With regards to my birthday gift list, I'm modifying the procedure that I've used in the past. You might remember (if not click here) the Adam Thomas Gift Coordination Department from my 2010 Christmas list. In order to avoid getting the same gift twice, I ask that givers first submit their gift idea to Christena Brown, and once she approves it, they can get it for me. The Gift Coordination Department was created, not to add an unnecessary level of bureaucracy, but to enhance and expedite your gift-giving experience and to ensure that no gifts were inadvertently duplicated.

Despite the painstaking care I put into the Gift Coordination Depart policies and procedures, we experienced a catastrophic system failure at Christmas. I recieved the same book from both my sister and an ex-girlfriend. One might think that the double gifting was caused by the ex-girlfriends unwillingness to deal with Christena. I can assure you that nothing could be further from the truth. The ex (let's call her Cindy), submitted her gift idea in a timely manner and was the approved giver of the book. My sister, unable to follow even the simplest of instructions, never got permission. Further, I checked the date/time stamp on both of the receipts and Cindy made her purchase nearly a full week ahead of Krystal.

If I had been double-gifted a shirt (do less laundry) or XBOX (home and office) then the utility of each gift would've been little diminished. Two copies of the same book? Not good.

With that in mind, here is my Birthday Gift List.


  1. Rubber Mulch Tree Ring -- Dual-colored 24" Dia. - available at Sam's Club and Lowes locally or online by clicking on the link.

Yes that's it. Try screwing that up.

I've planted nearly 200 hundred trees in my yard and the lawn guy seems to prefer mowing them down to weedeating around them. I need as many of these things as I can get. No need to submit your idea to the Gift Coordinator. Just buy as many as you can afford and bring them over. In fact, if you'd like, you can select which tree you'd like your mulch mat to protect. Together we can pridefully watch the tree grow.

---

Today in my morning e-mail I recieved two items worth noting. My softball coach, Danny McLean, sent me the sign up sheet for this years team and David Sconyers forwarded me an investment newsletter, along with this note: "He mentioned you....will you spot it?"

Inquisitively, I began reading the newsletter, wondering which part would pertain to me. It hit me like a punch in the face. For your enjoyment, I've reproduced the pertinent portion here*:


Mark Twain had one of the great lines ever regarding fear and human nature, Twain said that “A cat that sits upon a hot stove once, shall not sit upon a hot stove again, nor upon a cold one either… for from that point on they all shall look hot to him.”

Traders who lose money in bonds go trade stock, because bonds look hot to them. Bettors who bet upon our once beloved NC State Wolfpack and who lose time after time shall eventually turn and bet on Carolina thereafter, because the Wolfpack looks “hot” to them and must needs be avoided. Young men who lose at love play softball because love looks “hot” and should be avoided.
It’s human nature, and sometimes it even ends with good… perhaps even very good… results.



So I completed my softball sign-up sheet. Let's hope for good, perhaps even very good, results.

Regarding any perceived avoidance of "love", it should be noted that I consider Christena to be the proverbial cold stove. And if that ain't romantic, what is?

---
* I can't imagine how anyone could possibly misconstrue the referenced paragraphs as investment advice, but just so were clear, it's not. I will never discuss investments on the Razor, of that you can be sure. The newsletter that I read in its entirety contained a great deal of investment information. The paragraphs I reproduced, contain none.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stoves...what an intersting subject. I like stoves a lot. do you like stoves? Stoves are so important in a home. Back in the day, stoves were used for many purposes. Next to cooking, they were used to help heat the home. I would still say in this day and time, if you have a good quality stove, it will keep the home warm and cozy for it's family members. Yes, some stoves are hot and some stoves are cold. I would say Mr. Thomas, that I know of a stove is rather a "hot" sotve (let's call her Christena). Not only is she a "hot" stove she is an upgraded, top of the line model. She comes with all the bells and whistles. If I were a batchelor and I were in the market for a stove, that is the kind of stove I would snatch up to put in my home before any one else did. Stoves....never knew it could be such an interesting subject. AK

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...