Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Smashing Pumpkins, Dead to Me

Those of you who have been friends of mine for a long time will no doubt remember my decade long obsession with The Smashing Pumpkins. For about 5 years, this band, and the lead singer Billy Corgan, had its finger on the pulse (and its Doc Marten boot on the throat) of an entire generation. The 3 album run they went on in the early to mid 90's (Gish, Siamese Dream, Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness) was as solid as any band from that era. Without doing research, I think it was 1995 or 1996 when they set the record for most MTV Music Awards ever won by one band in the same year.

Here is a video:


SP was always a polarizing band. You either loved them or hated them. Those of you from different age groups might think The Pumpkins personify the crappy music of the 90's. I'll concede that this is a matter of taste and to a certain extent everyone probably prefers the music of their youth...

For me they were unbelievable. The songs were amazingly arranged and the brooding lyrics perfectly captured the disenchanted feelings of my late teen years. My friend Chris Slaugher and I went to see them play a concert at the Omni (RIP) in Atlanta sometime around 1995. This show not only burned my brain but changed my life. It was my first huge rock and roll show. I was in no way prepared for the wall of sound, the laser light show, strobe lights, mosh pits, or 50 thousand like-minded hipsters gathered in one place. I was hooked.

Upon returning from the concerts I immediately began amassing a collection that included virtually every sound that Billy Corgan had ever produced on a guitar. Bought every album, every single, live videos, bootleg copies of concerts, VHS tapes, posters, pictures, &c. My collection grew so large, it took up nearly all available space in my bedroom. I returned to see them another half dozen times.

Unfortunately, not long after that the drummer overdosed on heroin, and while he lived, he was kicked out of the band. This started a revolving door of various musicians filling in for the original band members. Darcy the original bassist left to deal with a coke problem, the original drummer came back, then left again, &c.


Fast forward to today and the lead singer still has a band that he calls The Smashing Pumpkins, but he is the only remaining original member, and it in no way resembles what they used to have. Earlier this year they put out a 4 song cd and I bought it, primarily to keep my collection complete. Not long ago, Christena saw the album, still unopened, laying on my table. She said, "Are you going to open this?" I respond, "No, I'm afraid someone might put it in the CD player and I'd be forced to listen to it!" It's very close to the worst music that I've ever heard.

Those Slicers who enjoy torturing their ears, are invited to click here:





It's a shame that they soiled their legacy with 10 years of crappy music. Until recently I always held out hope that Billy Corgan would be able to recreate what he did 15 years ago. Upon hearing this latest batch of songs, I've officially given up.

Still love those old songs though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If only Billy Corgan would have overdosed, thousands of minds would not have rotted out.(Maybe including yours)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...