Friday, May 6, 2011

bin Laden, Monkees vs. Dogs, Horses, &c...

What a week! Lot's of information and misinformation. At this point the best we can possibly hope for is to live long enough for the actual footage from the bin Laden raid to be released. Although, I wouldn't recommend holding ones breath. In the meantime, the most important thing is he is most decidedly dead. We live in a better world for it.

Late Sunday evening as the news reports were rolling in, I wrote a joke (mentally) about bin Laden's body temperature equaling room temperature, rendering him useless in his farce of Jihad. Sadly, we dumped him at sea before I could publish my joke. Rewritten as body temperature equaling sea temperature, the joke falls flat. Oh well.

Did you see his tombstone? Here is a photo:







Also, his Facebook status, which has been passed to me from quite a few people is quite funny. In case you haven't seen it:


Props to whoever created that...

---

While reading some of the coverage of the Seal Team raid, I was reminded of this story (here). The gist of the story for those too lazy to click the link? When the US went to war against Saddam Hussein in 2003, the government of Morocco offer to assist us by providing 2000 monkeys who were trained in detonating land mines. At the time, I wondered how you trained a monkey to detonate a land mine and still had enough of him left to provide the US war effort. I suppose I still wonder about that...

Anyways, what brought this to mind was the report, yet to be redacted*, that the Seals took a dog with them on the raid. And not just any dog, a super-dog with full body armor and titanium teeth. You can read more about him here. They've apparently trained these dogs to wear oxygen masks when making High-Altitude Parachute jumps and they can smell the enemy from up to 2 miles away. Meanwhile, the nation of Morocco has a brigade of 1 armed monkeys. It's good to be a superpower...

---
Are you ready for the Kentucky Derby? I'm getting there. I'll be tweeting my picks for this years' race one hour before post time if you wanna follow me. If you have to get your picks in earlier than that, it's usually safe to go with whichever horse Calvin Borel is riding. That dude is money at Churchill Downs. FYI, he'll be riding "Twice the Appeal". Not a great horse and coming from all the way out west, I don't like his chances, but if Calvin works his Kentucky Magic again, payday...

I'll see ya.



* I would imagine, like everything else with the bin Laden story, this will be redacted soon, but in the meantime, we're fighting the War on Terror with a dog that has titanium teeth!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...