Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Droid Does

In honor of getting my Droid back today, and to prepare for my upcoming trip to Costa Rica, I'm going to attempt to compose this entire post from my phone.


For those of you who didn't hear, I participated in an entirely unplanned, freestyle diving competition this past Saturday, which is a sure fire method for upgrading a Motorola Droid into a fairly expensive paperweight. Fortunately, I had the insurance and the new phone arrived to day. Unfortunately, I've been using a Blackberry the past 4 days in its stead.


It is not an exaggeration to say that the electric chair is more user friendly then a Blackberry. In fact, it's better to have been born deaf and blind then to have been born healthy and find oneself in a 2 year contract with one of those things.
---


For clarity, my friend Shawn invited me to go fishing this past weekend. When Shawn calls me to go fishing, I know that he's got some crazy idea that none of his real fishing buddies will participate in. Most of the time we end up blazing a trail up some crazy river that hasn't been explored since Hernando de Soto and Ponce de Leon were bumming around this area.


In the past we took a jon boat out into the open sea, so rough that the boat vacillated between being completely underwater and completely out of the water. My personal favorite fishing trip with Shawn started @ 5:30 a.m. in January, and involved me wading through frigid water, a few hundred yards to the boat, as the tide was so low he couldn't come pick me up. Another time we were on the Chipola river and, due to trees falling across the river, were literally having to chainsaw our way upstream. Shawn had one leg in the boat, one leg on a tree, and was chainsawing the tree he was standing on. To my amusement, the tree shifted and simultaneously launched him several feet into the air and pinched the chainsaw blade in such a way that the entire machine was stuck under water. You might be interested to know that when we finally dislodged the saw, he shook some water out of it, cranked it up, and we proceeded on our way.


Last portion of backstory, I promise. Shawn loves to tell the tale of how he busted a shear pin (a little pin that is designed to break when your motor hits something hard, so the expensive parts are not damaged), and didn't have a replacement. His unsuspecting wife was required to remove her bra, from which he took out the supporting wire and fashioned a shear pin to get them home. Romantic...


Anyways, when Shawn calls me to go fishing, I know it's going to be an adventure. When I saw the chainsaw and a bulk pack of shear pins in his boat, my suspicions were confirmed.


At various times throughout our fishing trip, which was on a small river in the panhandle of Florida, we alternated between cutting a path up river, and getting out of the boat and lifting it over lower obstacles. After one such lift, we both attempted to get back into the boat at the same time. Which resulted in a near capsizing of the boat, and the end of my Droid (RIP).
---



Had a little more, but I just learned that I can't blog photos that are contained only on my phone. First I must upload them somewhere and then tell Blogger the URL. Not willing to make that commitment tonight.

One other weakness of Blogging from my phone? Can't figure out how to spellcheck. (Update: I ran spellcheck this morning when I got to work. Major problems!)

Oh Well.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...