Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Back from Borneo

Shavers, Slicers, Slovenians,

I just wanted to let you know that I arrived home safely. By my count, I was awake for roughly 40 hours. I did take a couple short naps on airplanes. After a full night of sleeping I feel pretty good.

I hope to do a post-Borneo recap later this week, but I fear that my professional duties and apathy might delay me somewhat. However, there is one funny story that I was afraid to post while I was there that I'd like to share with you now. No one in the history of the world has ever enjoyed practical jokes more than me, and I didn't want to end my trip with out playing at least one. Due to the fact that I think my internet activity was being monitored, I waited till now to unveil it.


Devout muslims are required to pray at least six times per day. To pray, you put down your mat facing Mecca, get down on your knees, and put your forehead on the ground. It is important that you face Mecca because a muslim never wants to show the soles of his feet or rearend to Allah.

All mosques are built facing Mecca, so if you are at a mosque or near one, it is easy to determine which way to pray. If you aren't in or near a mosque, and don't know which way to pray, arrows are usually provided for your convenience. In all of my hotel rooms there was an arrow on the ceiling that pointed toward Mecca. That is when I arrived they pointed toward Mecca, when I left they pointed directly away from Mecca.

I take comfort in the idea that right now, on an island on the other side of the world, there might very well be a muslim who while praying, is inadvertantly showing both the soles of his feet and his naughty parts to Allah.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...