Monday, April 12, 2010

The Borneo Files, Platinum Content - Food Review

This post is for Platinum members only, if you are not a Platinum Member of Adam's Razor, please click here: link

If you need to review the guidelines for becoming a Razor Plantinum Memeber, please click here: Adam's Razor Platinum Membership Terms and Conditions

In my last post I mentioned that for supper last night I ate some Goat Satay. I thought as a bonus, I'd list out some of the other unusual things I've eaten while on Borneo.

1. Dried, salted fish - I'm not sure why, but some of the local people believe that the only thing better than fresh fish, is fish that has been salted and left in the sun for a long time. I ate it once on pupose and twice by accident. There is also a salted shrimp variety which makes me glad I'm allergic to shellfish.

2. On Sunday we ate in the home of a Bijou family. They fed us many things for lunch. One course was chicken soup. It was good and the family was very proud because they served yard chickens, not the sterioded up stuff we have in America. They served us fish fried with the head on. I ate some of the cheek meat, but not the eyes. Their version of Cole Slaw was very salty. I thought I was gonna like it, but I couldn't really develop a taste for it.

3. Ate at a Thai restaurant. One of our hosts ordered all of the food, so I have no idea the names of the dishes, but it was fairly tame and very good. They have a " red pepper dipping sauce' at most places here that has a sweet flavor and a little kick to it. I hope to find a bottle to bring home...

4. Yesterday, while at the beach, I bought a bag of boiled peanuts. All the local people were quite impressed that my home was located less than 1 mile from the Peanut Capital of the World Festival. By impressed I mean unimpressed. The boiled peanuts here have the same texture, but no salt. I considered making a suggestion to the peanut cook, but decided against it.

5. With every meal(including breakfast), we either eat lots of noodles or lots of rice. Most of it is pretty good.

6. Last, but not least, my hotel offers a breakfast jelly called "Fruit Jelly". I can't be 100% sure but I'm fairly certain it is Mayhaw jelly originating within 40 miles (75 kilometers for my international readers) of Colquitt County Georgia. Further, I think it could very well have been produced in the kitchen of one Melba Sheffield, however due to slight variations in consistency I am willing to entertain the possibility that that it was made by her sister-in-law Louise.

Here are a couple food related videos for you to enjoy:

Video 1. The Satay Stand - I made this video for Taylor who is a big Satay eater. I've decided to release for Platinum Members. While you are watching, please remember that the narration was aimed at a 7 year old.

The Satay Stand

Video 2. The Fish Market - Lots of interesting fish here.

Fish Market Video

I hope you've enjoyed this Platinum Content Article. Please check back later in the week for the next Platinum Installment: The Borneo Files, Platinum Content- Linguistic Adventures in Malay.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...