Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Fun with "I Write Like"...

I write like
Arthur Conan Doyle

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!



There is a new website where you can feed it a copy of your writing and it will tell you which famous author your style most resembles. You can try it out here. Just find something you wrote, copy and paste it into the box, and hit "Analyze".

I used the first paragraph from yesterday's blog:

"During a recent trip to Central Florida, my father unearthed a treasure trove of "Thomas Family" photographs. It is my intention to withhold most of these photographs until they can be used for maximum effect, but one such photograph is useful now."

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle! Most famous for Sherlock Holmes...

Next I copied my one of my sisters' comments from my blog yesterday and pasted it in. I was expecting the worse, but instead got this:

I write like
Cory Doctorow

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!



Never heard of him? Me either. You can read about him here. He's some Jewish-Canadian blogger who serves as co-editor of the blog Boing Boing. So I got one of the greatest fiction writers of all time, and my sister? Not so much. In fairness, her comments (which can be found at the end of yesterday's post, were pretty amusing.

Next up? My ladyfriend Christena. I inserted a paragraph from one of her emails. Survey says:

I write like
Margaret Atwood

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!



Who? From her wikipedia entry: Mrs Atwood is a Canadian author, poet, critic, essayist, feminist and social campaigner. At least Christena got matched to a female...

In closing, this software identified me as a Knight in Satirical Armor, my sister as a Jewish dude, and my girlfriend as a lady from Canada who once said this, "The animals die that we may live, they are substitute people...And we eat them, out of cans or otherwise; we are eaters of death, dead Christ-flesh resurrecting inside us, granting us life."

What???

3 comments:

Kelli said...

After my curiosity was peaked, I decided to investigate my writing style. What did I find? Either Christena and I are more alike than I ever realized, or the author's base of writing samples is limited. Yep, you have another vote for Cory Doctorow...

Anonymous said...

Adam,

I think much of your writing is identical to Don Coxe.

dhs

Adam said...

Touche. Luckily, none of my readers follow his work. I've had an original thought before, I just can't remember what it was.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...