Thursday, July 15, 2010

Mea Culpa, Local Politics, &c.

This is gonna be a short one. Just wanted to apologize for the quality of my "Luis Grass" post yesterday. I started writing it, and the plan was to finish today and then post. For some unknown reason, Blogger could not wait 24 hours. They had to show it to the world early. Complete with misspellings, grammatical problems, &c. I probably wouldn't have found all the errors anyway, but I did plan to add some flesh to various parts of it. Since you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube, I'll leave it as is...

Television stations, newspapers, and the people who make those goofy roadside signs are rejoicing. This is an election year! Based on the quality of our local representation, one would think that we could find suitable replacements at the bus station in about 15 minutes. But no, we are subjected to 6+ months of campaigning. In an election year it becomes virtually impossible to watch TV, listen to the radio, drive anywhere, or check your mail with out being exposed to some sycophant soliciting your vote. Many of the local guys even go door to door canvasing our neighborhoods shaking our hands and kissing our babies.

To prove how effective their political marketing can be, I offer this exchange between Christena and her son Taylor (age 7):

Taylor: "Are you gonna vote for George Flowers or Richard Talley?"

Christena: "I don't know."

Taylor: "Well, George Flowers came to our house, so maybe you should vote for him."

Christena: "Richard Talley came by the house last Saturday while you were still asleep."

Taylor: "Oh, well George Flowers has a dog."

Christena: "Good point."

I'm not sure how effective Mr. Flowers campaign has been on adults, but based on my unofficial poll (sample size, one), he has the 2nd grade demographic locked up.

Slicers, please do not email explaining that George Flowers and Richard Talley are running for different positions. I know that. Taylor, on the other hand, has not yet mastered all of the nuance of our governmental system.

Finally, I've finally come to grips with the fact that my wallet is gone, and won't be coming back. I'm headed down to the DMV to get a new license...

Beam me up.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...