Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Gamalielese, Karma, &c.

A quick piece on Presidential verbosity?

"I would like government to do all it can to mitigate, then in understanding in mutuality of interest, in concern for the common good, our tasks will be solved." - Warren G. Harding, 29th President of the United States.

Before your read and re-read the above quote trying to decipher the wisdom that President Harding was trying to impart, I should probably tell you that this particular combination of words is so meaningless that it borders on idiotic. Four score years before we had George W. Bush's speeches to make fun of, President Harding orated to the Nation with speeches so vacuous and sentences so horribly constructed their meaning is unknown even now.

My point? When President's speak, the people and nations of the world listen. Even if there are no coherent thoughts contained within...

With that in mind I reproduce for you a statement that our current President made this week (Actually I've reproduced it twice. The 2nd time I've removed ONE word. See if you can spot it.):
  • "What you've seen in some of the statements that have been made by these terrorist organizations is that they do not regard African life as valuable in and of itself." - Barack Obama, 44th President of the United States
  • "What you've seen in some of the statements that have been made by these terrorist organizations is that they do not regard life as valuable in and of itself." - Barack Obama, 44th President of the United States

This was part of a speech he made in response to the Al Queda "World Cup" attacks in Uganda this past weekend.

Did you notice the word I removed? African

Without the word "African" in the sentence, the knowledge imparted is so obvious that it doesn't even need restating. The actions of Al Queda speak loud enough that words are not required.

If you accept my premise that Obama was trying to tell us something and not to orate unnecessarily, what exactly was he trying to tell us? I think it's logical to conclude that President Obama speech was designed with the key thought being "Al Queda is racist".

I have a question for President Obama:

Do you have a dream sir? Do you have a dream that one day we will live in a world where Al Queda will select its victims not by the color of their skin but by the content of their character?

Enlightened Slicers will no doubt recognize my allusion to Dr. M.L. King's most famous speech which was not only perfect in its delivery but powerful in it's message (W. Harding could only dream...). If required I will offer a sincere apology to any victims of real racism. It is certainly not my intention to cheapen Dr. King's speech in anyway. Rather, I've attempted to use it to point out the offensiveness and ridiculousness of what our current President said (believes?).

Whether we choose to accept it, Al Queda has declared war on our way of life. If there is a "race" that they hold particular contempt for, it is probably the Jews. Most importantly, they do not value any life, even their own.

So while Harding may be the torchbearer for Presidential Nonsensery, a President who ineloquently states nothing does seem less dangerous...

Karma

As I go to publish this post, I am unable to find my wallet. I had it yesterday afternoon, but today its location is a mystery.

As of now I feel not only hungry, but foolish for the ridicule I heaped on my friend Nathan this week. Wallets, it seems, are harder to keep up with than I had suspected.

The last time I saw it, it contained my Driver's License, debit card, various business cards, and $110.00 in cash. Anyone who finds it is welcome to retain the $110 as a reward and return everything else to me. Also, for the sake of discretion, if you find it in a seedy location, I would appreciate that you keep that information to yourself.

Finally, if anyone is in the neighborhood of my office, I wouldn't mind if you dropped off a sandwich.

Carthago delenda est

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...