Monday, November 8, 2010

Fun with Presidential Photographs, Vol II; Putin speeds, Adam and Obama Dance...

Back in September I did a post (here) showing the contrast in style of Vladimir Putin and Barack Obama with regard to their summer vacation activities. The photos I embedded showed Obama wearing a helmet while riding a bike and Putin holding an enormous gun while hunting for whales on the open sea. I'm sure none of you were shocked that Obama (a former community organizer/law professor) enjoys different leisure activities than Putin (a former KGB agent). In continuing with this theme, I offer a couple more photos:

President Obama channeling his inner Whirling Dervish:


Vladimir Putin in a Formula1 Race car:



To recap the past few months for the world's two most powerful men:

Putin has driven a race car 150MPH, hunted whales in the North Pacific, driven across Siberia in a Lada Kalina, taken a submarine to the bottom of Lake Baikal, and posed, half-naked, for photographs with a Polar Bear in the Siberian wilderness.

Meanwhile, Obama has vacationed on the oil-saturated Gulf Coast, played golf, lost control of Congress, and re-enacted Dancing with the Stars (Bollywood style).

---

It occurred to me that Slicers might assume that I am against Obama performing dance rituals in foreign lands. Nothing could be further from the truth! Twice in the past few years I have been fortunate enough to perform in like manner.

A couple years ago, in my role as Freelance Goodwill Ambassador to the World, I was invited to Chin National Day in Atlanta, Ga. Recently, Atlanta has attracted quite a large number of Burmese refugees, many of whom are from the Chin ethnic group. The Chin people decided to honor themselves by having me perform the Zodong Feast Ritual with them. You'll have to look closely, but I am wearing a striped shirt and enter the screen midway through the video.





While in Lima, Peru I attended a cultural exchange where the local people entertained us with native dances. During the audience participation portion of the show, a beautiful young lady took me by the hand and led me up on stage. This particular dance involves the participants pinning toilet paper onto there rearend and getting jiggy with it while their dance partner tries to set the paper on fire with a candle. According to Peruvian lore, successful ignition of the paper romantically matches the dancers. Due primarily to the attractiveness of my partner, I would by lying if I said I was very aggressive in spurning her attempts to set me on fire.

Luckily, no video footage of my other performance exists, but there is this photograph:


See ya soon.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...